Sunday 17 July 2016

DIY Toy Stove

What's more fun than a cardboard box?! A few days ago me and my boys decided to make a stove out of a spare box from a recent delivery- it even has a "working" ignition button, turning knobs and it's very own baking tray! It certainly kept my little ones happy and they're still playing with it today.

Here's a step by step guide of how we did it....
Firstly, take a box and slice openings for the grill and oven. Then, take some string or ribbon for the handles and make a plait, this will strengthen them. Pierce two holes in each door (one at either end) and thread the ends of the platted string or ribbon through, securing it from the inside with tape (duct tape will be best as I found normal tape not strong enough). Then trim off any loose ends.
For the knobs I used the inside of a kinder egg (x4). Cut out a small hole where you're going to place it and gently push the kinder egg toy case through (make sure the hole is a lot smaller than the actual case, so they don't just fall out). Repeat another 3 times, across the top, leaving room for the 'ignition' button and detailing.
For the 'ignition button' I decided to use a spots cap off a fruit shoot - this will allow your child to be able to "push" the button. As with the knobs, make a small hole (smaller than the cap), apply superglue around the base of the cap and push through the hole created.
Then, with a sharpie, draw on detailing (I added a "timer" and a logo). I also added detail on the doors, very lightly, with pencil). Lastly, take 4 unwanted CD's and stick them upside down with superglue.
....and there you have it.

(TIP: I placed some cardboard inside, in between the "grill" and "oven" to divide them, so the tray would sit inside the grill properly. I also used a shallow boxed tray off a book as a "baking tray." You could also try sticking a second box beside it to make a range cooker!)
We also went on to make a T.V. with an additional box, using the stove as a T.V. stand. I added a "news table" inside. My boys love going on the other side and pretending they're on telly!


Have you made use of any spare boxes? What creations have you come up with?
Let us know in the comments below. Happy crafting!


Nadia x































SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mummy in Training. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig